Skip to content
- Fort McMurray
- Chemical Engineering Intern
- Work Term
- May 2014 - Aug 2015
- What are your daily responsibilities?
- General monitoring of plant performance, discussing/troubleshooting issues with operators.
- What were some projects you were involved in?
- Troubleshooting and returning the Upgrader hydrocarbon flare to design operation, developing a tool to monitor and predict the lifespan of hydrocracker catalyst, redesign of process control system for an SRU natural gas heater, etc.
- What were strong points of your interview? Did grades matter?
- My knowledge of the company cultural values and demonstration of technical ability were important.
Grades only matter to get the interview.
- Which skill sets/courses were most relevant to your position?
- Process design, fluid mechanics, process control, reaction engineering.
Have to be able to do research and quickly understand unfamiliar systems.
- What did your company expect from you as a 2nd/3rd year co-op student?
- Willingness to learn, ask questions and be receptive to suggestions, work independently (minimal supervision) .
- Did you like your overall PEY experience? Why or why not?
- I thoroughly enjoyed it. I get to do highly technical work which is closely tied to my coursework. Also a lot of ppl trust my work which builds confidence as an engineer.
- One fun fact about your job?
- I don't pay rent 🙂
- Salary Range